Saturday, February 12, 2011

ApplePie Breadpudding

This is the ApplePie Breadpudding I mentioned in my earlier posting.
First, let me tell you, it was disastrous!  The steam smelled like apple-scented dog shampoo... While washing the dog!

I really think the basic recipe has merit, but that the apple and dried fruit ruined it... 
But, here is the recipe just like I had put it in the crockpot:

7 Dinner Rolls left over from last night's dinner, cut into 1-inch cubes (makes about 4 or 5 cups)

1 medium apple, unpeeled, cubed
1/2 cup dried mixed fruit or raisens
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp Apple Pie Spice
1 Cup warm water
3 Eggs

Place bread cubes in slowcooker pot.  In medium mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients, and whisk until completely mixed.  Pour over bread cubes and stir or fold the cubes until all the bread is damp and all the liquid is absorbed.
Cover and cook on low 5 hours.

Like I said, the fruit being steamed with the bread and eggs and honey is what ruined this dish.  If anyone wants to recreate it or change it, feel free, let me know if you found a way to make this work.  I think next time, I'm going to just make the bread pudding, and add fruit at the time of serving, or maybe just before.
I will say, I also tried it with icecream, and the icecream definitely cut the strong taste of the steamed fruit, but it is not something I'm going to make again without some major modifications.

  Tomorrow's dinner will be slowcooked Chicken Corn Chowder, recipe and verdict to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment