Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sick Day Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

Like most people, I love chicken noodle soup when I'm sick.  But I don't like the condensed chicken noodle soups, and I always forget to pick up the non-condensed soups when I'm at the grocery store, because I rarely go grocery shopping when I'm sick.  So, here is a quick and easy solution.  It takes 30 minutes or less to prepare, and can be slowcooked on high or low settings, depending on when you are ready to have some.

Ingredients:

3-4 Stalks Celery, chopped
2-3 large Carrots, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced (garlic is Nature's immune booster, so this is essential in my soup)
1/2 small onion, chopped fine
2 halves boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
2-3 cups chicken stock mixed with 2-3 cups water to make a total of 5 cups liquid
poultry seasoning, or herbs to taste.
1-2 packs of Ramen noodles, with or without seasoning, whichever you prefer

combine everything in a medium or large slowcooker, cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, or high 3-4 hours.

It really is comfort food when you're sick; and the smell of simmering chicken noodle soup is soothing, too.  Don't forget to drink some orange juice, for a Vitamin C boost, and get plenty of rest.  If you have an upset stomach, mint tea is a good way to calm the stomach muscles.

Today, my household is feeling under the weather, and already the smell of my homemade chicken noodle soup is making my mouth water.

1 comment:

  1. "combine everything in a medium or large slowcooker, cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, or high 3-4 hours."

    I should have said, "combine everything EXCEPT the noodles..." Add the noodles 20 minutes before serving, otherwise they'll be too mushy

    ReplyDelete