Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"There's no such thing as too much Worcestershire Sauce" Meatloaf

Finally!  Here it is, my all-time favorite, infamous slowcooker meatloaf!!!

I make this on days when I take my kids to Morgan's Wonderland; because I know that when we get home, we will be ready for something warming.  And this meatloaf is so good and versatile, it can stand on it's own, if you're too tired to make a side dish.

It takes a bit longer to prepare than my usual slowcooker recipes, about 45 minutes, but it is worth the initial inconvenience!
 This uses a 4 qt. slowcooker or larger

Ingredients:

Wrapper:
  • 1 head cabbage
Meatloaf:
  • 16 oz ground meat of your choice (I prefer ground turkey, but my husband prefers ground sirloin)
  • 1 cup Fibely chopped potato, mashed potato, or cooked rice
  • 1 small or medium onion, finely chopped (I love onion, so I use a medium one, but you can halve it, or use a small onion)
  • 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp parsley flakes
  • 1/2 tsp each thyme, oregano, basil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Sauce:
  • 1 (16oz) Can unsalted tomato sauce
  • 1 large can tomato paste
  • 2 TBS brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce (or more, to taste)
Cut the stem out of the cabbage head with a sharp knife.  Gently boil cabbage head in large stock pot over high heat until soft all the way through.  Turn off heat before it get's too mushy, though; you want the leaves to hold their form

While cabbage boils, combine meatloaf ingredients in large mixing bowl and mix well.  Gently peel cabbage leaves from the head (I use two wooden spoons, silicone covered tongs  to do this, so I don't risk tearing the leaves) and set aside each leaf into a loose pile.  With the knife, cut the thick vein from the base of the cabbage leaf, scoop a small handful off meatloaf mix into a ball, and set on cabbage leaf; fold leaf over and around ball to make an envelope, set in 4qt slowcooker.  Keep going until you run out of meatloaf mix.

In the same large mixing bowl the meatloaf was in, combine the sauce ingredients and whisk until well mixed.  Pour over the cabbage/meatloaf packets, making sure to cover all the packets with sauce.
Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or so.


That's it.  I make this recipe at least once a month, and my husband and my kids still love it.  And like I said, it's a great one for the day you go on family outings and you just want to come home and have a no fuss meal (all the fuss was done before you left for your outing!)

1 comment:

  1. Last night, I added finely chopped green bell pepper to the meatloaf ingredients and mixed it well. It turned out great! I definitely recommend adding it if you have it. Although, since my recipes are meant to use whatever you have available, don't bother making a dash to the store if you don't have a bell pepper, the meatloaf is great no matter what you use.

    ReplyDelete