Saturday, February 12, 2011

Slowcooking is Dinner for Morning People

I discovered the joys of slowcooking about a year ago, and the more I use my slowcooker, the more I love it! 

You see, I'm a morning person...  Yes, one of those horrible, despised morning people that the entire world seems to abhor.  I don't mean to be, blame my genes; my dad is a morning person too.

Anyway, as a morning person, my favorite time of the day, and when I am most active, is between the hours of 7am and noon.  After that, I just keep at a steady "maintenance" pace until bedtime, usually around 9pm. 

But unfortunately, dinner falls right in the middle of my maintenance time...  So, what to do?!?  I have kids and a husband to feed, and as much as they might disagree with me, cereal should not be a daily dinner food.

That is how the slowcooker has saved me.  I am finally able to use my annoying morning-person powers for good.  Instead of waking up rediculously early and wondering why the rest of my house is sleeping in, I now use that time to make dinner and toss it in the slowcooker.  Then I go about my day, and when I am worn out by mid-afternoon and my husband inevitably asks, "what's for dinner?" I can confidently say something amazing like; "Terriyaki Chicken," or "Pulled Pork Fajitas" or something like that, and not have to do more than five minutes of work to put a fantastic dinner on the table.
  He thinks I'm Betty Crocker, and all I did was toss some ingredients in a pot in the morning.  Faster than fast food, and about as much effort.

  So, that's what this blog is for.  I am using it to log my slowcooked creations, along with a complete list of ingredients and cooking times, as well as the general response to the final product.

Tonight, it's dessert in the slow cooker: ApplePie Breadpudding.  Tomorrow, I will post the full list of ingredients, and how it turned out. 

I will admit, not all of my creations are a success, but enough of them are that I am able to learn from the disasters.

1 comment: